Monday, January 14, 2013

2013: Family, Race and Routines.

We are family:
2013 is lining up to be another crazy one. If you know me then you know I thrive on pressure. The biggest news is that my husband has accepted a job in Iraq for a year. He is no longer a service member and will be going to serve as a civilian. While this will be difficult on the family it will also be a great benefit. It will also make it difficult to race as much as I want since. I will have to bring the kids with me and have someone to watch them. I will make it work! My son will be turning 4 this May and therefor be able to compete in the Kids Spartan Races! He is so excited, maybe just as much as I am. His Grand-Maman bought him real racing shoes and he's been practicing his running! The family that races together stays together I suppose. Did I mention that I am also pursuing my Associates degree? I am only one math class shy of my degree which I am taking online this semester. If I can get an "A" in this class I will be graduating in May on the President's list with a 4.0 GPA. Between all that, races and training I think I have plenty to keep me motivated this year.



Races:
The winner!

I posted my potential list of races here. These are pending I can work out the logistics to attend. What will make it easier is that I won a free season pass for the US Spartan Races! How does one do that? It was part of a team pumpkin carving contest at Halloween. Not only did I get a pass but I got passes for 3 other very deserving people. I will be trying to squeeze in local races and I have been toying around with the idea of running a marathon at the end of the year.










The workouts:
My plan so far is to focus more on strength training. One of my biggest challenges at races was my lack of upper body strength. I have a tractor tire, a rope and sand bags at home that I will use to supplement my workouts. My formal plan is as follows and I quote...

Monday: Triceps, back and some abs
Tuesday: Smaller run (or cardio)
Wednesday: Biceps, chest and some abs
Thursday: Smaller run (or cardio)
Friday Shoulders, some legs and lots of abs
Saturday or Sunday will be longer run or intense cardio. The other day will be rest.  As much as I love winter running, it wont always be possible with the jogging stroller.

 I have a membership at my local YMCA which provides free child care, an essential for a fit momma!


And there we have it. I don't know if it will work, or if i'll be in one piece by the end of the year but I will give it my best shot. I will keep blogging but I'm not sure at what frequency. I'm not sure where my blogging niche is and if it's of interest at all to anyone. Again, something that only time can tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment