Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Getting Commited

Or being committed...

Let's just say comitment.

After the Ultra Beast in September alst year I saw my level of commitment to fitness and health go downwards fast. First it was skip a workout here and there. Then eat a pizza or a fast food meal on the go. Soon enough I was drinking a bottle of wine every night, eating everything in sight and not working out at all. I have excuses yes, stress from full time school, kids, husband losing his job, etc... But no excuse is ever really a good excuse. Life isn't something that should get in the way of your dreams. Life should be the road to your dreams. It's not a new year's resolution but more happenstance that it's the new year and i'm recommitting myself to find that drive I had not so long ago. It's slowly coming back. I need to let go of the fact that I am not where I was 4 months ago and build back up. The two major things I need to focus on is being ready for all the races I want to do and eat healthy.

This year I'm committed to doing a lot of races. To keep me on track I have registered to do the 13 in 13 challenge present by Margaret Schlachter from Dirt in Your Skirt . That is 13 races or events, if you will, in 2013. In April we will receive a medal to commemorate our dedication. I start my 13 in 13 challenge this Saturday with a 5k at Fort Drum presented by BOSS (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers). This is a free event and is always a good time. If the weather is warm as it has been I will be running with the kids in the stroller. 

I've been looking at different racing opportunities. Since I have a season pass for Spartan Races that will be the bulk of my Race year. There are, however a few different races that I want to take on. The first is a virtual 5k obstacle race. It's an interesting concept that has come up lately. The idea of racing virtually is that you commit to a race, register and complete it where ever you are between certain dates. I am planning on traveling to the mother land of Canada to complete this with my Canadian Mudd Queens. I am also looking into competing in the spring Tough Mudder in Toronto. I really dont much care to run the Tough Mudder but it seems like it's a right of passage in the world of obstacle racing. When I talk about obstacle racing I am always asked if I've ever done a Tough Mudder, i'd like to say I did and that it was cake compared to Spartan Beasts!  

I'm also recommitting to eating well. I desperately want my children to have good nutritional habits. I think, as an adult, poor heating habits is one of the most difficult things I face on a daily basis. It seems to me that those brought up eating well aren't faced with the daily struggle of what and when to eat.  It's normal to them to  just eat what is needed and not crave a whole box of twinkies because it's Tuesday. I want that for my children. I want healthy choices to be second nature. I am recommitting to lead by example and give them that. 

And there we have it. I will work out and reach my racing goal and I will fuel my body properly to attain this.

No comments:

Post a Comment