Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sloshing through the snow

I've decided to put together posts about my at home equipment. One of the biggest challenges as a mother is finding time to make it out to the gym. When you do go, you have to make sure the kids are fed, have pottied, pack a bag with spare clothing for daycare, bundle up the kids, load them in the car, drive to the gym, unload the kids, unbundle them, sign them in, pray to your respective deity that they play nice, and then hit the gym. I'm sure this routine might have just served as a contraceptive for some. To avoid this fun adventure I've made a lot of equipment for home workouts that revolves around getting ready for obstacle course racing. Most of my materials hail from the Home Depot. I'll try and make a post a week to showcase one piece and how to make it. DISCLAIMER: I have by no mean invented any of these things. I pieced my projects together from pictures and examples off the internet. Please excuse my home renovation in progress in the pictures. Without further delay here is the first installment.

The slosh pipe. 



What is a slosh pipe? I don't know if there is an official type of slosh pipe I have only ever seen home made PVC pipe ones like the one I will show here. The water inside the pipe not only adds weight to your workout but since it sloshes around you must work on your balance as well. You can do many things with the pipe. You sling this puppy over your shoulders as pictured above and go run, climb up hills, lunges, etc. Like most of these home equipment things there is a lot of versatility if you put your imagination to work.

Material:
10 foot PVC Pipe with a 3 inch diameter .You can go smaller. In retrospect as a 5'4" woman I should have made it 8 feet long but the 3 inch diameter is perfect.
A cap to make a closed end. (pictured below)
The other end can be another cap but i went with an end that screws off so i can adjust water as needed. (pictured below)
PVC Cement (brush should be in the can)
PVC Purple Primer (brush should be in the can)
Bleach
Water


 This is the PVC Cement and Purple primer cans.
Directions:
First you make sure both ends of the pipe are clean. Then you apply the purple primer to coat the outside of each pipe end, the inside of the cap and the inside of the other end you selected. This doesn't take long to dry, about a minute. I propped my pipe up on paint cans so the ends were off the ground. Then apply a layer of cement over the areas that you applied purple primer on. Immediately put the caps on and ensure that they are on all the way. Also make sure that they are not slipping off. It shouldn't take long to set, about 2 hours, but I would wait a day before filling it with water. When you add the water put in a touch of bleach so it doesn't get funky. You can put as much water as you want. There you go, easy peasy!

Cap end.
Twist off end.











Finished pipe


No comments:

Post a Comment